Lollygaggering

Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Day Last Week

Well, I woke up around 8:30 and there was blessedly right outside my apartment door a most unexpected sight: my newspaper. Normally it is left down in the lobby and somebody steals it before I can get it. This was indeed a tender mercy today.
So I read the front section and the arts section, and then I did the crossword puzzle. 29 minutes, not bad for a Wednesday. I'm getting a little rusty since I had a month off at home and since my paper is nabbed so regularly.
I have an achy knee. I guess it's from doing the Firm workout with Sendhal Bergman. And it is exacerbated by the elevator in my building being out of order.
So whilst I read the paper, I ate an orange, cut the way my mother cut them and the way her mother cut them. I also drank some water. I did not eat a big breakfast because my beau was taking me out for brunch.
And I of course did not take my Zoloft because there was none left and I'm sick of it because it makes me sleep at least 1 1/2 hours during the day and I hate to sleep during the day. I must talk to Dr. W. and see what else can be done.
So then it was pretty late. I watched a woman win the Showcase Showdown. Or was that the day before. It's hard to tell.
I showered and shaved my legs, which I hadn't done in a while (and I do mean both, but it had been longer since I shaved than since I showered).
I made myself look rather nice for my beau.
I wrote 3/4 page of my morning pages and then the beau buzzed me and I went downstairs to meet him. I was overjoyed to see him (yesterday was the first day we didn't see each other after about three weeks of seeing each other everyday) and he was wearing my favorite hat. He is really a delectable man. I think he was a bit amused by how overjoyed I was to see him. He is not nearly so ebullient as I am and I feel that on some level he just tolerates me.
I did not know where we were going because he was surprising me. There was a How to Date night at our singles ward on Sunday, and I think he realized he needed to do some more formal and romantic things. I have also hinted that it might not be a bad idea. Not that I don't enjoy what we normally do. But I do want to be pursued just a little bit since I really have been throwing myself at him most of the time.
So we got onto the train and ended up in midtown. We went to Le Pain Quotidien and ate a basket of bread and had very good hot chocolate. We talked about our childhood reading habits. I could see the Petrossian from where we sat, and it reminded me of the old days of my bookclub. The leader of the club once asked me to get her a copy of The Last Days of Disco, With Cocktails at Petrossian Afterwards, which we represented at the literary agency I used to work at. And when we read Alain De Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life, our leader got some madeleines at the Petrossian. I began to crave them and there was one of those days when I rode a bus line for a long long time when I stopped and got some.
I tried to make sure to ask the beau questions about himself because too often our conversation devolves into airing my insecurities.
After we ate, we started tromping across midtown to a Mysterious Location. When we got onto the very street of where we were going, I guessed that we were going to the Museum of Television and Radio, and I was right! We went and watched some Muppet specials and looked at Muppet pictures and then parted ways. I hate parting ways with my beau, and I always feel that he is so fine with it. Right maddening.
So then I came home, having very good subway luck, and thought I was going to be productive. I finished my morning pages, but then I tried to watch Dr. Phil (this was interrupted by the breaking news about anthrax). Then I watched the Feud, which I have aspirations to be on someday. Then I went and got my mail and saw that true to their promise, Netflix had delivered Finding Neverland. So I came upstairs and watched it. Then I watched Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune and then called my dearest friend. We met up at a birthday party later in the night and got partially caught up.

The upthrust of this day is that I watch too much TV and that I think too much about the beau. He is so lovely and creative and smart. What I really needed to be doing with my time that day last week was reading Civil Society by Michael Edwards. And millions of other exciting things. I am a student, am I not? I am a woman of brains, am I not? Oh dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>