Lollygaggering

Friday, May 05, 2006

So in the Grocery Store Checkout Line, You Expect to See Gum, but not...

BEEF BOULLION CUBES.

I was buying some toilet paper and nail polish remover just now (a 4 year old painted my fingernails and the toenails of one foot, all in different colors) and as I was waiting in line I considered buying some gum, but none of it was sugarfree. My eyes traveled right and there was the beef boullion. What? Is this some kind of accident, some kind of stopping place until the boullion can be stocked where it ought to be? No. I glanced down the rest of the checkout stands and each one featured a shelf of boullion cubes.

Somebody has to help Fine Fare with their marketing strategy.

Anyway, while I am here, I need to bring up two more things from yesterday that I can't believe I forgot:

I got my first chocolate milkshake of the year from a Mr. Softee truck:
















(No I did not take this picture. I pilfered it from a here.)

I love Mr. Softee so much. He is so dapper and jolly:





















I mean, look at that handsome swirly hair/hat/headress.

At any rate, Mr. Softee is 50 years old this year and I need to buy a T shirt.


The other thing that happened yesterday was the peephole man came by last night. No, he is not a pervert (at least not that I know of); he is a door-to-door salesman of the old style. He has come to my apartment before and done remarkable demonstrations on how much better the new peepholes are than the old ones. Last night he had some new tricks. He hid around the corner out in the hall and had me look in the demo peephole, which apparently can see around corners or something. I did not have the heart to tell him that the view through the peephole was the exact same as the naked eye view.

This man is ancient and I love him and that love is more special because over forty years ago he installed the peephole that is currently in my door. This is why he can tell me for certain that the new peephole is superior.

Of course, he could be lying, trying to make me feel all nostalgic and lovey and thus more likely to shell out $37. But I prefer to believe he has been a peephole man all this time and really did stand at my very door 40 years ago and install my little window into the hallway that doesn't shut anymore and so lets light in all night and used to give me sort of the creeps like it was some kind of all-seeing eye.

I hate that I don't have enough loose change lying around to buy a new peephole from this man. What if he's like Willy Loman and they've just got him working on commission? What if he has some demonic boss pitting him against everybody else like in Glengarry Glenross?

Anyway, I know there is something else splendid that happened yesterday that I forgot to write about, but it won't come to me. Hm.

4 Comments:

At May 06, 2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love that you made a Glengary Glenross reference. I don't know why I think of the Coen brothers everytime I hear the title of that movie but I do. Then I think about how you introduced the Coen brothers to me... It was the Hudsucker Proxy, you made me watch it with you and I am glad that you did. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of movie watching.

I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with your trip to the ice cream truck. Which btw, I think is absolutely adorable that there is a truck that makes ice cream cones and shakes and that tools around NYC and NJ.

But, the Glengary Glenross refernece made me want to post about my higher appreciation to movies... all thanks to you, I think.

 
At May 09, 2006 10:01 PM, Blogger lily said...

There was never anything more random in this world than a peephole salesman. I love your life.
Lily

 
At May 10, 2006 5:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Associated Super Markets also had buillion (sp) cubes. They were right at eye level so I can picture them perfectly. I don't think I had seen that before I lived in Harlem.

 
At May 11, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger lily said...

Lolly I have a sudden urge to have one of those mister softee t-shirts. If you buy one for yourself, please buy two. I'm serial.

LIL ( my word verif. is skape)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>