Lollygaggering

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Possible Conversion and a Dubious

Well. So tonight I was watching Sex and the City and it was the episode where Carrie and Mr. Big decide to finally go out for a real "drink thing" after running into each other over and over and over again. And he keeps lousing it up and Carrie keeps not accepting the louse ups and actually, like, gets up and leaves when it turns out he has a friend along to their rendez-vous, declines an invitation to join him and this same friend for lunch when she randomly bumps into them, etc. Because what Carrie wants is to spend planned time alone with Mr. Big. She does not accept substitutes.

And I suddenly wanted to be just like Carrie. So cool and demanding. So brave and confident in her knowledge that her actions would not close the Mr. Big door for good.

I think I've wanted to be this way before, but it smacked so much of the Rules I couldn't bear it. But now I don't care. If this means I'm a Rules girl from here on out, so be it. Much better than being desperate and ingratiating. Heavens.

Here is the problem: I am so NOT like Carrie it's laughable. I have like 2 pairs of shoes, I wear clothes I've had since 1997, and I certainly don't have Sarah Jessica Parker's lovely hair and perfectly petite figure. How can I play hard to get when it's really very likely that no one is trying to get me?

This is why this possible conversion to a Rulesy way of doing things is dubious. I don't see how such an attitude is sustainable if you don't have the goods.

And oh dear, am I really looking to Carrie Bradshaw as a role model? Me?

5 Comments:

At April 19, 2006 10:13 PM, Blogger lily said...

Not only do I think it's funny that you are looking to Carrie Bradshaw as a role model, I think it's hilarious that you watch Sex and the City. I did not know this about you... as for the Rules thing-- if the right one comes along, you won't have to worry about anything at all. He will love you and accept you whether you are a rules girl or not. I almost lost my chance w/ hubby because I tried the rules, but then again I was a total idiot at it. I think what Carrie was doing was standing up for herself and refusing to be a doormat. There is nothing the wrong with that ever, is there????I think that is always something that we can learn from, whatever the source.
I also think that the clothes you've had since 1997 were my old clothes, so you need to add a couple of years to that... something I really admire about you and reminds me of mom in a big way. She was wearing one of Wendy's old sweatshirts that she made in the 80's the other day with rhinestones glued to it. Do you remember those??? Talk about a time warp.

 
At April 19, 2006 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, your mom! the rhinestones! i love it. i agree with liaz that standing up for yourself is not necessarily a Rules thing, but really just standing up for yourself, and liking yourself and thinking you are worth things. i know because its everything i havent been doing very well lately. so.

on the other hand, i think Carrie in that episode was NOT truly standing up for herself, but actually being insecure and rules-y. she was not confident that she had Big all dialed in and that he'd be calling again for sure, but really wanted him to, and did Rules to be manipulative, not as a show of how rad she knows she is. innywho. i lurv s and the c, even though i still always get confused and want to call it Sex IN the City, which is not the same thing. "Sex n the City" thats the solution for me.

 
At April 20, 2006 6:15 AM, Blogger Lollygagger said...

Lily, I just started watching SATC. It's on TBS on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and it is very funny. But it also makes me very wistful and so I don't know that I should watch it. It is fiction, afterall, and really not much better than Days of Our Lives in portraying reality. It messes with my expectations! And plus I'm not and never will be as rich as those girls.

And of course I remember the rhinestones. Was the sweatshirt the peach-colored one. Woo-ee.

Oh, and I am a doormat. How did THIS happen?

 
At April 21, 2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I agree that SATC gives people a false sense of the way things actually are. Although I love the show, I have to agree with Lolly... who can afford all those shoes? I mean really!

What are these 'rules'? I am so not in the know... can someone help me out here? I guess I missed that episode with 'The Rules'.

 
At April 28, 2006 8:02 AM, Blogger Terri said...

Lolly, it's TEDDER!!

This is a famous one-liner that Carrie Bradshaw said...
"Are we simply romantically challenged, or are we sluts?" -Carrie

I guess that's what sums it up for me....
We really don't want to be Carrie, or even remotely like Carrie. Cause afterall, she is just a slut!

**~**

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>