Lollygaggering

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Genealogy, I Am Doing It

Mainly because it is more productive than Solitaire but not much less mindless.

When I was a Laurel (for you who are not Mormon, this is the oldest grouping of girls in the Young Women program of the Church), I did as my big capstone project one of those huge 15-generation pedigree charts. I did it in pencil so I could make changes to it but it is falling apart and getting close to illegible. Plus it's very outmoded here in the 90s (this is a joke about how I said once "This is the 90s" when it was really 2000 or 2001).

So I'm transferring it all to Personal Ancestral File (PAF), which is splendid and which you can download for free at familysearch.org, and updating the info I have with info from Ancestral File (AF), also found at FamilySearch.

I know a lot of the info is not accurate (AF is a seriously messy, unregulated database of family information that anyone can submit), but I'm going to get it in the computer and then start going through and trying to correct it with real sources. This will take me years, but that is the nature of genealogy.

The main thing I want to work on is this family line that terminates here in New York City. I don't know if I will ever be able to find anything, but while I'm living here I may as well give it a go. Sarah Rogers! I am looking for you!

1 Comments:

At April 04, 2006 11:19 AM, Blogger lily said...

I don't remember your big Laurel project! Did you get your Medallion? I am working on mine still. I love that you are doing Geneology again!! And I love the reference to one of my fave Primary songs. I hate that they change it to Family History.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>