Lollygaggering

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

From the Un-Electronic Archives

A prize to the person who can tell me what the correct antonym is for electronic. Analogue? Stone-age?

At any rate, here is a journal entry from this date in 1998, when I was a sophomore at BYU (names changed except if the person is famous/famousish):

Afton [I used to address my journals to imaginary people],

Well, I saw another really good Mormon play tonight. It was by the same guy who wrote Gadianton, Eric Samuelson (I think I wrote about it back in Naomi or something). It's so encouraging to see good Mormon art! Like the other day, I went to the museum and saw the Minerva Teicherts. She was fabulous. So beautiful. So artistic.

I feel like something is about to happen. But it's probably just spring fever. But this guy in the play tonight--Bob Smith--everytime I see him in anything, I go slightly mad. He was in Gadianton, as well as "Just One of the Bunch" (a Mask Club from last year). And I'm wildly attracted to him. Well, not wildly--but--I dunno.

Then there's Lenny. I would kiss him in a heartbeat--I think. But I know he'd never go for me. He told me to contact Heath Rodney (this guy a year young than us in school), because we both like Gerard Manley Hopkins and Hilda Doolittle. And I think, initially, NO WAY! He doesn't even know who I am. How embarrassing would that be? But I also think--Why not? I could just write him a letter, and if he thought I was a weirdo, he could just ignore it and we'll never see each other anyway. But I keep thinking he might be MY NEXT HOPE. I mean, he doesn't have any preconceived notions of me. So who knows? WAIT! I KNOW! Nothing will happen! Nothing's ever happened! Why would it now?!

What a depressing thought. Gee whiz. But it's high time. I'm 19 years old! Man!

Lollygagger

P.S. Did I ever tell you that Jared (from Deutsch) is engaged! HA HA!
L.S.

6 Comments:

At March 28, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Harlem Snowflake said...

I have no idea who any of those people are, further evidence of my citizenship on the outskirts of Mormondom. I couldn't name a single "famous" Mormon other than the Osmonds and Steve Young. Oh, and the guy from Napoleon Dynamite, who is hilarious. Oh well. (btw, have you seen Big Love on HBO?)

But really I wanted to tell you that I love, love, love what you wrote about ND. Beautiful writing. Being from MN and having driven through it many times, I was right there with you, man. Also, the farting...Too Fucking. Much.

 
At March 28, 2006 1:28 PM, Blogger Lollygagger said...

Miss K, Not to worry. Eric Samuelson isn't really a famous Mormon. He's just a playwrighting prof at the BY so some alumnae would know him. Minerva Teichert is a painter who lived in the early part of the last century. You can see some of her art here:
http://www.storesonline.com/site/253614/page/238859

 
At March 29, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got word of your blog. I was recently thinking how much I thought you should have one -- how fun it would be to read. I read through the entries to date last night and wasn't disappointed.

Oh, and Eric Samuelson was in my "home ward" in Provo. And thanks for the link to Minerva's work. Amy and I have been interested in finding a resource for buying prints.

 
At April 04, 2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Hellmut said...

How about mechanic?

 
At April 04, 2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Lollygagger said...

Hellmut,

You win because you are the only one to make a suggestion.

 
At April 10, 2006 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm late to the game...

For archives I think the most common dichotomy is digital vs. analog, but it's not perfect because of magnetic media, which can be electric and analog.

I've also heard it as softcopy vs. hardcopy.

I'll grant Hellmut that "mechanical" makes as much sense as anything else I've heard.

My personal preference is cyber-space vs. meatspace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>