Lollygaggering

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Typhoid Lolly

So last night I took my first typhoid vaccine pill. Which means, of course, that I am going to India.

I have to take these pills (four total) every other night on an empty stomach. This is very hard because my stomach isn't so often empty except when I wake up in the morgen. But if I can do this, I will be immune from typhoid for 5 years.

I also have to get a polio booster, a tetanus-dyptheria shot, hep A&B shots, and I have the option of getting the rabies vaccine and the Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Since the latter two would cost more than $600 combined, I have my reservations. On the other hand, what if I get bit by a monkey like my friend did in Malaysia (and yes she did get rabies)? The thing about the rabies vaccine, though, is that it does not keep you from getting rabies, it just extends the time you can wait to get treatment after you've been exposed to rabies. And since I'm going to be in Mumbai almost the whole time I'm in India, working very closely with a physician, I don't really see the point. And Japanese encephalitis is a rural disease, and I will be in rural areas for probably only about a week. Should I risk it?

4 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congratulations! This is very exciting news! But wut happund to Africa? What is this Indian plan of yours?

 
At April 05, 2006 6:12 PM, Blogger Lollygagger said...

There were no Africa programs through school that I could do this year (they were all Francophone and I didn't need the anxiety of trying to get enough French together). India sounded like the best alternative. I've always wanted to go there, because it seems so exotic. Since I'm supposed to be divested of such colonialist, imperialist notions as exoticism, I don't generally say that's why I want to go. And it's not really why I'm going. I'm going because I HAVE to get out of this country and get some real live experience and then mebbe mebbe mebbe I'll feel like an Adult. Or at least get some credentials that will help me get a job after I graduate.

 
At April 07, 2006 5:07 PM, Blogger Harlem Snowflake said...

One of my best friends is Indian, and her parents still have a million connections there, so we should chat b/c it would be good to have a name in your pocket in case of emergency....or if you are going to be in that part of the country....which I can't remember right now.....:)

 
At April 09, 2006 1:55 PM, Blogger lily said...

The thought of you getting bit by a monkey is more that I can even bear. How could anything be more creepy than a rabid monkey...holy crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>